Things to make with left over rice – isn’t there always left over white rice from a Chinese take out, or you made a big batch on the weekend, intending to use it throughout the week?
Since my goal is to use all left overs, here are some ideas I have come up with. Although I am not including recipes, a google search will give you ideas for any of the ideas below. Better yet, make up your own!
- rice pudding – get a head start using rice already cooked instead of raw rice
- stuffed peppers or tomatoes
- fried rice – plenty of varieties there to try!
- Arancini balls
- cold salads with rice or whole grains
- use in casseroles – chicken and rice casserole for example
- use in meatloaf or meatballs in place of breadcrumbs
- in a curry
- stuffed acorn or zucchini squash
- in a homemade pilaf
- a vegetable rice bowl (or add meat like shredded chicken!)
And if you still have too much left over rice to use up, freeze it. Cold cooked rice freezes beautifully and you can pull it out and use whenever you need a quick meal or side dish.
It doesn’t matter if you have left over white rice, brown rice, jasmine, basmati or arborio, there are ways to use up leftovers!
Additional reading: Fine Cooking Rice Guide